Sunday, February 3, 2008

Heading to Brazil

Tuesday 1/29

 When we awoke this morning, Puerto Rico was far behind us, and the sea was smooth as glass.  At breakfast with Theresa and Sam, we watched flying fish jump up and skim across the water like little birds, and then saw a school of dolphins leaping through our wake.

 Global Studies featured a UVA professor, originally from Spain, who now lives in Brazil.  He gave a short history of Brazil, which makes me want to learn more about how the country evolved as a mix of indigenous people, African slaves and Europeans.  I thought we were landing in Salvador, but everyone refers to it as Bahia.  Guess I'll have to learn why!

 Wednesday, 1/30/08

 This morning, the wind is stronger and the sea choppier – we elected in yesterday's calm not to use any seasick remedies, but I got a bit queasy this morning and came back for a patch.  How did Horatio Hornblower get by without a patch?

 Today and tomorrow are "Add/Drop" class days, and I volunteered to work in the Registrar's office in the afternoons to help the student's optimize their schedules.   And you worried I would have nothing to do!

 Actually, there is something scheduled for every hour of the day and evening on ship – every morning is Global Studies, to learn about the music, politics, religion and culture of the area we are next visiting, "Community College" lectures every evening, language classes for the port we are approaching (just starting to learn Portuguese), yoga before supper and meditation after supper.  Every night at 9pm, for those still awake, is a choice of two movies that are related to the culture we are studying.

 In addition, the Lifelong Learners meet every afternoon at 5 for drinks and stuff, and we've been asked to "adopt" up to 4 students who are homesick and want to commune with the occasional grownup.  Each student group has at least one evening party to which the faculty is encouraged to attend, and….  Well, you get the idea.  If I allowed myself to be talked into all the opportunities aboard, I'd need a vacation to recuperate from my vacation!

 Thursday, 1/31/08

 I opened my email today to news that one never wishes to hear.  A fellow choir member, Roy, whom I left two weeks ago in seemingly perfect health, is dead.  I'm missing him.

 Friday, 2/1

 We will be arriving at Bahia on the last day of Carnival (Mardi Gras or Fat Tuesday).  The city will have been partying hard for several days, with thousands of drinking, reveling, pickpocketing, grabbing, kissing, frenzied partygoers dancing in the streets.  We've been advised to remove all jewelry and watches, not to carry bags, cameras, or anything we ever wish to see again.  We have to get local money from a bank, but have been advised not to carry our debit cards.  What's a tourista to do?  I'm thinking we stay on board until things settle down on Wednesday – what do you think?

Saturday, 2/2

 Happy Groundhog Day!  Today we are very close to the Equator, the sun is shining, and the kids have a day off from classes.  The dining hall was empty this morning, so I'm guessing that kids will sleep in whenever they get the chance. 

 At 14:30, we officially crossed over the Equator.  The ship's horn let out a long blast that was almost drowned out by the cheers of the students.  Yahoo!  We're in the southern hemisphere!  I'm going to go see if the water swirls down the drain the opposite way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen, I am loving your blog! We sure do miss you. I truly envy your adventure. So, did the water flow down the drain backwards or not? Don't keep me hanging here.

Sending lots of hugs. I miss you.
Maggie

Anonymous said...

Karen, I am loving your updates and apppreciate you sharing your adventures with us. I cannot wait to see all the pictures. Miss you around here:(

Glad you are having fun!

Candi